Skip to Main Content


Can the Sheriff's Office fingerprint me for my job?

Yes. The Sheriff's Office does fingerprints for certain jobs, licenses, or other necessary reasons. If you need to be fingerprinted, you need to go to the Cape Girardeau County Sheriff's Office located at 216 N. Missouri in Jackson.

Does the Sheriff's Office solicit money by phone?

No. The Cape Girardeau County Sheriff's office does not endorse anyone soliciting money for this office by phone. Any phone calls you receive requesting money for the Sheriff's Office are probably scammers. The only contact you may receive regarding the Sheriff's Office is from the Missouri Sheriff's Association (MSA). You might receive a letter in the mail from them requesting support. You will not receive a phone call from them. The Missouri Sheriff's Association is the only organization that the Sheriff's Office supports as a solicitor of funds.

Does the Sheriff's Office have any community-oriented crime prevention programs?

Yes. The Sheriff's Office retains a school resource officer in the Nell Holcomb R-IV school district. The Sheriff's Office also participates in numerous community events and training.  Deputies are available for public speaking events upon request.

When can I get a copy of a police report?

This question has many answers as determined by the sunshine law.  The simplest answer is that in most cases a report can be obtained within five to seven business days.  In some cases, depending on the circumstances (sunshine law)  the prosecuting attorney's office may have to authorize the distribution of reports.

Can I report a crime that occurred a year ago?

This question has many answers.  Felony crimes often have a three-year statute of limitation.  Some felonies, however, have no statute of limitation.  Examples of this include murder and rape.  Misdemeanor crimes typically have a one-year statute of limitation.

Will the Sheriff's Office check my residence while I am out of town?

Yes, the Sheriff's Office conducts vacation checks as a part of its preventative patrol program.  To set up a vacation check, simply contact the Sheriff's Office.
Does Cape Girardeau County have animal control ordinances?

No, Cape Girardeau County does not have any animal control ordinances.  All animal complaints must fall under current state statutes. 

What do I do if I find a methamphetamine lab on my property?

Call the Sheriff's Office immediately.  Methamphetamine labs are very dangerous.  They contain numerous hazardous chemicals and have the potential to explode.  They are so dangerous in fact that the federal government considers methamphetamine labs to be hazardous materials sites.  Because of that classification only trained certified personnel may dismantle and dispose of the materials at a meth lab site.  Cape Girardeau County has personnel qualified to handle and dispose of methamphetamine labs.

How do I find out if a sex offender lives in my neighborhood?

Check the sex offender link on this web page.  This page will show where the offender lives and the offense that was committed. 

How do I renew my concealed carry weapons (CCW) permit?

CCW permits have to be renewed every three years.  To renew bring the following items to the Sheriff's Office: CCW identification, and a renewal letter from the department of revenue.  Once these items have been submitted to the Sheriff's Office, you will need to fill out a simple form and pay a fifty-dollar renewal fee.  If your CCW is expired by more than sixty days; additional fees may apply.

Is there a way for me to know who is currently incarcerated in the jail?

You can find out who is currently incarcerated in the Cape Girardeau County Jail by clicking on the "Corrections" link on the home page. 

How do I report an incident to the Sheriff's Office?

 If it is an emergency dial 911.  If it is a non-emergency call (573) 243-3551.  The dispatcher will then forward the call to the appropriate agency or officer.